PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever totally botched a site?

Suckerpunch
10-28-2008, 02:12 AM
Here's a quick question for you all... have you ever just totally botched one of your sites and destroyed your traffic when you were doing something such as a redesign or script installation?

Generally I am pretty good at planning things but having a new traffic script installed on one of my sites has turned an 8k a day to about 800 uniques a day. Here is the story...

I decided to upgrade http://www.cheerleaderalley.com from an old trading script to Zero, which I had heard great things about. While installing the script I used my old database instead of a fresh one which wiped by trading information out as well as my tgp gallery engine. The gallery engine ran the rotation on several sites and I hadn't backed it up in ages making the backup useless. I spent the next two weeks getting the tgp engine back up to speed.

All the while traffic started dwindling. I finally started converting the templates for the traffic trades to the new script a few days ago and concentrated on a few areas. Once I was happy with what I had I password protected the zero directory and let things run. I checked the stats and noticed that the traffic continued to dwindle...

As it turns out I password protected the wrong directory so the trade templates would not load. I finally realized my error after receiving a few emails from surfers asking what was going on.

So at long last I have the site running again and while I still have a few templates to fix traffic is flowing once again.

Sigh... I'm an idiot. :)

jscott
10-28-2008, 05:30 AM
Oh my, that sucks SO bad man, sorry to hear that :(

My "botched site" story, last week I did no changes, but my host somehow quit running "cronjobs" (they are needed to update the site), so my site NipponIdols.com went from it's all time peak at 40k/day traffic, to 0 ZERO traffic for 2 days :( finally I got it all fixed and now it's back up to 34k/day, it's been a bitch trying to get it back to it's previous peak

Shitty situations all around.

Sucker, good luck on getting your traffic back up man :)

The Heron
10-29-2008, 02:05 PM
you still have my cheer sites in your trade database?
hscheerleaders.com & crazycheerleaders.com

Suckerpunch
10-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Yep. I added them and added a daily force to get things rolling again.

The Heron
10-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Awesome!
I find I usually have problems when my sites run scripts. For instance recently I overwrote the index file of one site with the index of another cause I didn't notice the script had the wrong domain listed. So woops and I didn't have a decent backup so yep had to redo the index from scratch, real pain in the ass waste of half a day!

jscott
10-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Dude Heron that would've sucked man!!!! Got shit back to normal now with traffic/rebuilding index?

The Heron
10-31-2008, 02:43 PM
traffics easy when its all se and not cj'd crap!