View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscott View Post
You know what though, I think these sites would do well enough to make up for the recession numbers if they just redesigned and re-organized their tours and promo tools, etc

Most of these sites that have shut down really have outdated designs and site tours

but, all in all, sucks to see them shut down, sucks to see Lady Celeste go
I agree with all this but to a point. The simple fact is that we don't know why this or other sites have closed. I know quite a few sites that have been lost to the web where I have been privvy to the reasons why. The reasons include

Ill health of model or partner/husband
Divorce or separation of partners
Close family/friends find out (or about to) and model covers tracks
Change of job or increase in responsibilities
Pregnancy/first child (or second etc)
Kids growing older so lack of privacy for shoots

As for Celeste I don't know anymore than yourselves. However I will make several other points, especially about traffic building.

It's more difficult than ever! Banner exchanges and toplists just DON"T generate enough traffic on their own anymore. What is more they are hard and time consuming to police.

It is essential that all paysites have a good webmaster/affiliate programme. But how many sites do you come across that just offer a banner or two as their entire range of promo tools? Tooooo many!

I also think it's important that sponsors work closely with gallery owners. Some do, some don't. For example to many FHGs have pics which are way to small. Why?

Some sponsors offer zips some don't. Why? Zips are way more convenient for webmasters that build/host their own galleries.

For the most part too many sponsors don't update their promo materials often enough or provide facilities where the affiliates can grab them.

On Glamour Images I have a "Featured Sites Of The Month Area". This means more frequent promotions for those sites. Incredibly I have some of those where I can't do the promotions because I can't get hold of the material!

So losing sites is bad I agree. Lady Celeste had a terrible affiliate scheme. A complete waste of time! That is the really sad thing - she is not alone! Too many websites have no idea what it takes to be successful!

Only my 2 cents worth!