View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 06:38 AM

Default Doom & Gloom - Fact or Fiction?

Across a number of webmaster boards there is talk of the Adult business being on the verge of collapse through self destruction. The proliferation of free stuff seems to be being blamed and I can see the logic.

However are things really as bad as people say or is it a smokescreen? Yes it's a more difficult business to operate in (mainly because too many webmasters are too far up their own arseholes). Yes there is a lot of free stuff out there. Fact.

But what are the facts? I can only speak for myself and my sites and research of one is never good but never the less here is my take -

AFFILIATE HAT ON

My numbers do not suggest a serious problem. It's a numbers game and my numbers show business is pretty much the same as last year, in fact slightly better. Conversion on Glam Imgs so far this year is 1:487 (based on raw clicks) compared with 1:508 in 2009. Clicks out are also up becuase traffic in is up. In fact there is total correlation between the three key stats of traffic/clicks out/conversion. So no downturn at all - as long as you are prepared to work a bit harder at maintaining/growing traffic

Also as a fairly open minded chap, I don't have many of the principles other gallery owners seem to have. I don't worry about the leak free site issue etc. I have one fundamental, overriding principle - does a site sell? If it does who cares? I certainly wouldn't stop promoting a site if it sells for me for whatever reason!

Don't believe me? Check out my Featured Models and how few have leak free tours etc

SPONSOR HAT ON

I have a simple theory. A site is as good as it's star (for solo sites) or it's theme/niche (for multi girl sites). Too many webmasters/producers enter a niche without actually understanding it E.g they see the word "nylons" and put a site together that features pantyhose. Duh?!?!

After that it's updates (frequency, quality and variety). Yes marketing the site is hardwork and often very frustrating but not impossible. You just have to stick at it.

As far as number of images per gallery is concerned we have gone for 15. Out of a typical photo set that's around 13%. There are one or two harder pics but to get to see the majority then someone has to join. Maybe 12 is a better number, maybe 18. Who knows?

I don't see TGPs and Showcase sites with a ton of free pics as an issue (see my comment above). In fact our affiliate programme is the best way of getting high volume traffic to the sites. Then it is down to us to convert it!

GENERAL

I think the biggest potential threat to our business is the P2P sharing via the likes of Rapidshare etc. We ALL need to police that more closely and work together to keep it to a minimum (we will never eradicate it)

Our business is down, and I am the first to admit that, but rather than moan about it and spread doom and gloom I have analysed it (SWOT analysis + numbers) and the reasons for the decline are pretty much all down to us and not the market (other than the general credit crunch/global recession - and hey shit happens).

For your info our problems are pretty much all health related. Last year I was very ill and pretty much took a year out. This year it's been Astrid's turn to suffer ill health. The result of both is a lack of time/attention to the business. Other than that it's pretty clear what we need to do to get back on track then grow again.

So before saying "the end is nigh" take a real in depth look at yourself and your business. Can you clearly identify the challenges and have you got the inner strength to do something about it?

Start with a very detailed statistical analysis
Apply SWOT type techniques to identify an action plan
Draw up a plan and stick to it

Simple stuff but hardwork.

Or don't bother and just blame everything/everybody else. That's far easier if you can't be arsed!