View Single Post
Old 01-31-2015, 12:40 AM

I can't speak for the EU shows, but there has been very little focus on gaining new affiliates by programs at shows here on this side of the pond for quite some time. Yes, they have reps at the shows, but they aren't easily found.

I don't need info from programs I already have a relationship with, so setting up advance appointments serves me no purpose other than maybe getting a free drink. What I want to find at shows are programs I don't currently have a relationship with, find out what they offer that may match my traffic, etc.

What used to be the most valuable to me was meeting the independent program owners. The ones where they are the content, webmaster, support. They do it all themselves. Reinforcing those relationships face to face paid of in spades. Damn few of those site owners attend shows any more, most quit attending before I did.

Attending a show will cost me a minimum of $1500 by the time I add up airfare, hotel, food and other misc. Triple that if it's a show outside the US. There just isn't enough new business to gain for me to justify that expense.