Leg Webmasters  
Fetish Hits
Feet 4 Cash

Go Back   Leg Webmasters > Main Category > Leg Webmasters Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2010, 07:14 AM

Smile Taking Up Red's Eloquent Point

I was really interested and inspired by Red's comments here
http://www.legwebmasters.com/forums/...ted=1#post5749, plus the overall discussion triggered by Saffys affiliate thing.

There seems to be an ongoing battle between affiliates and sponsors, techies and non techies, and I wonder why? Like Red I don't confess to being a techie. I am not a programmer, probably not even a proper webmaster by some definitions. I cope and that's about it. Anything above basic level and I am screwed. I need help. But you know what? Many of the people who "volunteer" just baffle me with science in order to bump up their self importance (and fees) and usually don't deliver jackshit!!

But here is a thing. I WAS a techie. My first real career was in computing (or IT as it's now known). I was a COBOL and RPG programmer then a Senior Systems Analyst - all before I was 23!! But so what? I still go all cold and sweaty when considering/reading about some of the technical issues on here!! Why was I a roaring success in IT? Because I kept it simple stupid! I talked to people about their issues and gave them solutions/fixes in a language they understood!

Given I accept I am not a real webmaster what am I? Well I am a planner, a strategist, a statistician and a seriously talented direct marketeer (which is quite useful on the web LOL!). I know what to do, I know when and how to do it - but can't execute it through lack of knowledge.

Before changing from doing this as a hobby to full time I was a Direct Marketing/CRM/Business consultant. I earned upwards of £1500 a day. Why was I so successful? You guessed. I kept it simple stupid - blah blah blah. It worked. The simpler it was, the more I got paid and the assignments grew in number too. Because people understood what I was saying and could implement it!!

My philosophy in life is simple (but you guessed that). When struggling to understand something i say to people "I am a simple Salford lad so cut the bull and explain that to me in words of one syllable. Don't try and impress me with bullshit!. My philosophy worked. (Salford is a working class city in the NW of England).

Like all "webmaster forums" there is a very arsy side to this one. It's the usual "the more I talk fucking tech gobblededook the better I am" and because you don't understand, or can't do it, you are an inadequate arse! Why not accept that we are not all the same and actually help each other achieve what we all want - higher sales and revenues? Many affiliates would have no idea about photography e.g apertures, depth of field, shutter speed, flash sync, raw v jpeg processing et al let alone the complexities of video production. Without good content they wouldn't have a business in the first place. So why treat content producers like dickheads because they don't understand that your CMS needs scripts in PHP5 or MSQL7 with overlayed screen thingies in HTML5 and Flash and Java and watchyoumaycallits and all WYSIWIG. Blah blah blah LOL! Oh and you haven't got the literary ability to dream up a description. You make 50% of the sale so your getting paid to do something to help!

That said (with my affiliates hat on) why do some sites even bother to have an affiliate programme in the first place? You get one banner if you are lucky and that's the entire marketing stock. What use is one fucking banner. With conversion rates of 1:500+ it would take about a year to get one sign up! I won't go on about this here - I feel another thread coming on!

I would love to learn, and even at my very ripe old age I love learning. But the art of teaching is to explain things simply and clearly. Not baffle and confuse. The art of working together is just that. Help me, help you to help me, make US all more money!

Times are fucking tough out their so surely to goodness it makes more sense to work together, park the fucking egos and smartarse comments, and create valuable, long lasting partnerships?

Despite all my worst knowledge failings, to which I admit, I still make a goodish living out of this. And I do it because I love the fetish/niche I work in and no other reason.

Rant over (this time LOL!)
Old 07-10-2010, 08:05 AM

One last point on this (I hope)

Today, Saturday, I will be shooting a local amateur model for about 7 hours. We have to pay her, provide the shoes, nylons and or/pantyhose etc. Let's say that's a $200 cost. I then have to edit/process the pics and vids for the site (say 1 1/2 days), select the pics for the FHGs and make up the pages etc, etc.

Out of every $100 sales we get net $42.75, but there are other costs too. The affiliates get $50. So I have to get $500 to even cover my costs. The affiliate makes pretty much $250 out of that - most of which is profit and it's taken far less time to earn it. If I make $1000 sales I will make $227 gross profit and the affiliate $500. That's a rough model/math but use it as a guide.

Even if the model was Astrid, we would have to buy outfits, nylons/pantyhose, accessories and shoes at least. OK not every time but a pair of good fetish heels can be $100+ and boots etc much more.

Thankfully because of my affiliate business, the site is a paid for hobby again. But I am lucky in that respect. I agree 100% that we need the affiliate programme to generate a decent level of sales. Don't think there is anyway forward without it but at what cost?

Now does it surprise you that so many independent paysites are closing? There is just no money in it anymore. The ones that stay/survive are doing it for love or they are one of the few that have a very successful site.